- How does the time period affect the tale? (Give detailed examples)
- How does the opening prayer relate to the first two pages of the tale?
- What does the death of the widow’s son symbolize about the attitude towards Jews? Are there any biblical connections between the death of the boy and any other biblical characters?
- How does the Prioress relate to the tale?
- What role does the Virgin Mary play in the tale?
- Generate a list of the widow’s sons desires, how does the desires correspond to his personality? (Be specific with evidence and psychoanalytical theories)
- What does the song mean, metaphorically and literally?
- Why does the Prioress ask for pity in her prologue?
- Why do you think the widow’s son sing O Alma Redemptoris, a song about death, while he’s dying? (Incorporate the meaning of the song and the symbolism behind it when answering)
- How does the boy relate to Christmas? (**hint: the birth of Jesus Christ)
Blog With the Prioress
Join the Prioress community discuss, themes, symbolism, and Antisemitic ideas